New recipe! This is currently simmering on my stove… I can’t wait to dig in. Yum!
First, finely dice an onion and mince 2 cloves of garlic. Sauté them over medium-high heat until soft, just a few minutes. (PS: I LOVE my iron skillet. Just sayin’.)
Next, add them to a bowl with oats, 1 egg, milk, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix well.
Add ground chicken and dig in with your hands to mix it up!
Form small meatballs (1″ or less) and lay out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350˚ for 20 minutes, checking them at 15. Pull out and set aside. If the next part will take you a while, stick them in the fridge.
Next, grab a large stock pot and put 3 cups of chicken broth and a cup of water in it. Add oregano, pepper, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil and turn temperature to low. Let simmer while you cut up your veggies!
Cut up onion, red pepper, 2 medium carrots, and 2 cloves of garlic.
Then add them to the stock. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Next, add those delicious meatballs along with some chiffonaded basil (fancy word for sliced up finely). Also add about 2 cups of a small pasta. I used orzo. You could also use ditalini or acini di pepe for example. Bring to a boil again (if needed) and let simmer for at least 10 minutes or until pasta is soft. Don’t be afraid to add water or broth as this simmers down. I added 2 additional cups of water. You may need more at higher altitudes.
Finally, a few minutes before serving, add a good handful or two of fresh baby spinach to the pot and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste and then eat up!
Here’s the recipe:
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup oats
1/4 cup milk
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 lb ground chicken
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 Tbsp dried oregano
pinch whole fennel seeds
1 medium onion
1 red bell pepper
2 medium carrots
2 cloves garlic
meatballs (from above)
4-5 fresh basil leaves
2 cups small pasta (orzo, ditalini, acini di pepe, etc)
a good handful fresh baby spinach
1. Finely dice onion and mince garlic. Sauté in a little butter or oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Add oats, egg, milk, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix well. Add ground chicken and mix well with hands.
3. Form meatballs no larger than 1″ and spread on baking sheet. Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes, checking them after 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside or refrigerate until needed.
1. Add broth, water, oregano, pepper, and fennel to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to low and simmer while you prepare the vegetables.
2. Largely dice onion, red pepper, carrots, and garlic. Add to simmering stock and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add meatballs and shredded fresh basil. Add pasta and simmer for at least until 10 minutes or until pasta is soft.
4. Add spinach a few minutes before serving and season with salt and pepper to taste.